Attention Math Part 2: A Santacruz Case Study
Attention Math Part 2: A Santacruz Case Study
A Santacruz Encounter: Donation, Deception, or the Mathematics of the Mind?
"Sometimes the greatest mystery is not what happened before our eyes - but why we interpreted it the way we did."
A Morning I Never Forgot
It was the beginning of 2007.
I was walking through a quiet lane in Santacruz (West), Mumbai, on my way to complete some personal work. The street was unusually calm.
In one corner sat an elderly man.
He was not dressed like the stereotypical beggar. He appeared healthy, dignified, and neatly dressed in white. His white beard and moustache gave him the appearance of a wandering sage rather than someone asking for alms.
Something about his eyes caught my attention.
Without much thought, I decided to offer him ₹10.
At that very moment, I was speaking to my wife on the phone. The call remained connected throughout the encounter, making it easier for me to describe events as they unfolded.
The First Surprise
As I extended the ₹10 note, the man gently held my palm for a brief moment.
Then something unexpected happened.
Instead of seeing the currency note, I found what appeared to be a rudraksha bead in my hand.
I had heard stories like this from elders during childhood, so the incident surprised me less than it intrigued me.
I immediately described the event to my wife over the phone.
She advised,
"Leave immediately."
Yet curiosity was stronger than fear.
I stayed.
The Conversation Changed
The elderly man smiled and said,
"Bhikhari samjha hai kya?"
"Do you think I am a beggar?"
He politely asked me to contribute a more appropriate amount.
While I was narrating everything to my wife, he softly remarked,
"Mera prachar kyon kar rahe ho?"
"Why are you announcing me to everyone?"
Whether this was keen observation, coincidence, or psychological reading, I cannot say.
But I noticed that my attention had become completely centered on him.
Everything else had faded into the background.
The Mathematics of Narrowed Attention
This was the exact condition discussed in Part 1.
When attention becomes highly concentrated, the brain naturally reduces awareness of competing information.
Whether hypnosis was involved or not is impossible for me to conclude.
But one fact remains:
My attention had become fully occupied by the unfolding interaction.
One Decision Became Another
To end the conversation, I voluntarily offered ₹51.
He accepted.
Or at least...
I believed he accepted.
Even while watching his hands, I could not clearly understand where the money went.
Before I left, he made one more request.
"I am travelling to the Kumbh Mela. Please help me with the cost of five kilograms of rice."
I responded by saying that I came from Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, and had seen many people using similar methods to persuade strangers.
He unexpectedly mentioned nearby districts, as though he already knew something about my background.
Whether he inferred it, guessed it, or simply responded conversationally remains unknown.
Then came the decision that puzzled me for years.
I reached into my pocket and voluntarily handed him ₹500.
He never demanded it by force.
I was never physically threatened.
At that moment...
it simply felt like the right thing to do.
The Return Journey
While returning from my work, my thinking gradually changed.
Questions replaced certainty.
Why had I given so much money?
Was it generosity?
Persuasion?
Social pressure?
Focused attention?
An emotional state?
Or something I still do not understand?
I searched for the elderly man.
He had disappeared.
Even today I do not know whether I made a meaningful donation or became part of an elaborate confidence trick.
The Mathivation Analysis
Rather than jumping to conclusions, let us examine the variables.
Mathematics
One conversation.
Multiple decisions.
Every new interaction altered the probability of the next decision.
Small changes accumulated into one very large outcome.
Psychology
Attention narrowed.
Curiosity increased.
Critical analysis may have temporarily taken second place to the unfolding experience.
Expectation and emotion influenced judgment.
Behavioural Economics
Every request changed the psychological reference point.
Once I had already contributed, giving a little more seemed increasingly reasonable.
Economists describe how earlier decisions can influence later ones, especially when commitment, emotion, or social interaction are involved.
Philosophy
What is free will?
If our decisions change with context, emotion, and attention, how independent are our choices?
Perhaps freedom is not the absence of influence.
Perhaps it is becoming aware of influence.
Spirituality
India has a long tradition of saints, monks, ascetics, and wandering seekers.
Many genuinely dedicate their lives to service and simplicity.
At the same time, history also reminds us that appearances alone cannot determine character.
Wisdom lies in combining compassion with discernment.
What About Black Magic?
Some readers may interpret experiences like this through the lens of supernatural practices.
Others may explain them using psychology, sleight of hand, suggestion, or cognitive biases.
This article does not claim to prove or disprove any such explanation.
Its purpose is different.
It asks a deeper question:
How does focused attention influence human perception and decision-making?
The Mathivation Equation
Decision = Attention × Emotion × Belief × Context
When any one variable changes,
the outcome may change dramatically.
Understanding these variables may be more valuable than arguing over labels.
Final Reflection
Looking back after nearly two decades, I still cannot fully explain every detail of that morning.
But perhaps that is not the most important question.
The more important question is:
What invisible mathematics guides our decisions every day?
Every advertisement...
Every negotiation...
Every inspiring speech...
Every emotional appeal...
Every act of generosity...
Every moment of hesitation...
Perhaps the greatest mystery is not another person's influence.
Perhaps it is how little we understand the equations operating within our own minds.
Curious Question
Have you ever made a decision that felt completely right in the moment - but made you question yourself later?
What variables do you think changed your equation?


Comments
Post a Comment